Skip to content

Passports and Visas

Passports and Visas Banner


Students must have a passport for participation in any education abroad program. You often need your passport several months before your program begins. You also need a passport before you can apply for any required visas. Thus, start on your passport application as soon as you make the decision to study abroad. Processing time for passports can take up to 14 weeks.

Application forms are available online at, as well as a detailed list of required documents you need to provide to apply for a Passport. In general, you must:

  • Fill out the appropriate application form
  • Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (and a photocopy)
  • Present ID (and a photocopy)
  • Provide a Photo
  • Pay a $110 fee, plus a $35 processing fee (cost is subject to change)

Passport photos are available through the Campus One Card office, located in KU, or at many local drug stores' photo department. Applications can be submitted to the Wright Brothers U.S. Post Office on Oakwood Avenue. Visit for a list of all post offices processing passport applications. Allow at least 14 weeks for routine service, and 2 to 6 weeks for expedited service.

Check out our guide: NEED A PASSPORT-1.pdf

Visas and other Entry Requirements

Each country has different requirements and procedures for entry.  Generally, students will need to a) determine if there is a need for a visa given the program activities, location(s) and duration, b) identify the consulate or embassy which has jurisdiction over visa issuance, c) obtain up-to-date visa instructions from the consulate or embassy, and d) submit the visa application, passport, and other supporting documents according to those instructions provided. It takes time to obtain a visa, so good planning is required! Also, be aware that personal travel to your designated consulate may be required. For example, the consulates assigned to Ohio residents are often in Chicago.

Information about entry requirements (i.e., visas, immunizations, additional fees, etc.) for travel to other countries can be found at and Consult the Web page for specific programs regarding visa requirements for those programs. For additional information, visit the travel docs page of the Department of State's students abroad Web site.

Also, take note of visa details that are embedded in various program brochures. Many times, the Office of Education Abroad has linked direct resources specific to that country's requirements.

ETIAS Travel Authorization (for European Travel)
Starting in November 2023, the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) will ask for all travelers to the Schengen region of Europe to apply through the visa waiver system prior to their visit to the region. This short, online application process, once approved, will be valid for up to three years or until the passport requires renewal. Details on application process, cost, and timeline, are still being determined.  However, students and families who are planning to travel to Europe in November 2023 and beyond should be aware of its requirement as it will be mandatory for anyone intending to visit the region. (This is current as of August 2022, but we encourage you to visit the ETIAS website for the most up to date information.)

Notary Services
If needed, notary services are available through the Office of Legal Affairs - Wednesdays 10-11am and 2-3pm in St. Mary's Hall, rm 400. Appointments can be made for other days by emailing Bring valid photo identification; the notary must validate your identity and witness you signing the document.