Marianist University Exchange - Chaminade University Honolulu
About the Program
Chaminade University is the only catholic university in Hawaii. Founded on the same principles as UD, the Marianist tradition holds strong on their campus. Participants of the program will find many similarities between our universities and will feel at home in many of their teachings and beliefs. The first noticable difference, however, is Chaminade is much smaller in size and only serves roughly 3,000 students as opposed to UD's nearly 11,000 total enrollment. Secondly, Chaminade University, within those 3,000 students, has a very culturally diverse community providing our students with a very culturally rich experience right here in our own country. For more information check out our Pinterest Board to get up to date information on student organizations, tours of housing, maps of the city, and images of the campus.
The Marianist Exchange is a special opportunity provided to all students at UD, Chaminade University in Hawaii, and St. Mary's University in Texas. Students are selected for this opportunity according to both merit and character, and are expected to complete a service-learning component as part of their participation. It is a unique way to experience the Marianist educational environment in Honolulu!
Where is it Located?
Chaminade University is located in Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.
Areas of Study
Most majors will find courses at Chaminade University that will apply towards their degree at UD.
Please click on the Course Schedules (WebAdvisor) link listed under Publications on the Chaminade University of Hawaii Academics Page to see a complete and up to date list of the courses offered.
To access a syllabus to a course please use the Course Syllabus Repository on the Chaminade University Website.
Some things to consider when browsing course offerings:
- Classes are subject to change and/or close. Always be sure to find ample classes for academic approval. This will give you courses to fall back on just in case one is not available as planned.
- Business majors - Chaminade is not an AACSB accredited school. Please speak to the Business advising center to be sure you have ample courses left in your four year plan to attend the program.
Students have the option to live in Chaminade's on campus housing.
* Please click on the photo below to link to Chaminade's Residence Hall Information
Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing. In order to be eligible to participate in the Chaminade University Exchange Program, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
Students will be selected based on the criteria mentioned above as well as their commitment to intercultural development and learning. For this reason, when completing the application, students should give special consideration to their essay. The essay should convey to the committee the student's interest in intercultural learning as well as the student's plans for using the Chaminade University Exchange Program to further develop intercultural competence.
- Completion of at least 30 degree hours at the University of Dayton prior to beginning classes at Chaminade University
- Must have a current GPA of 2.5+ and no record of disciplinary violations
- Approval from your Dean's office
- Business students should contact their academic advisor and the SBA Advising Center before applying. Chaminade University is not an AACSB accredited business program and business courses will not transfer back to UD or satisfy UD business degree requirements.
Students will be required to participate in a pre-departure orientation in the semester prior to their program.
Pre-departure is MANDATORY for all accepted participants and will be held on a Friday afternoon (subject to change).
Dates and times will be announced within your application as they are scheduled.
Looking to Learn more About the Student Experience? Ask Program Alumni about their Experiences Abroad....
Junior, Majors in Secondary Education and English, International Studies minor
World Associate in the Office of Education Abroad starting Fall 2016
Email Olivia with questions about her experience at Chaminade in Hawaii at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Studying abroad has opened my eyes to new cultures, lifestyles, and people. Being willing to try new things and being open to learn about the world from a different perspective has pushed me out of my comfort zone and has increased my craving for knowledge, opportunity, and travel."
Paros Island, Greece with Athena Study Abroad (Summer 2015)?
Marianist Exchange with Chaminade University, Hawaii (Spring 2016)
Honors Global Flyer in London, England (Summer 2016)
Cost and Refund Policy
Students will be responsible for the following:
UD Tuition (billed by UD)
Room and board (Billed by Chaminade)
Travel costs associated with this program (arranged independently)
* Most financial aid will apply to the semester budget, please be sure to talk to a Financial Aid Counselor in the Flyers First Office for up to date information.
Additional Information and Things to Consider
Health and safety >>